Wednesday 12 January 2011

Sucker of the month

Call me a bit vain, but today I was really pissed off for not getting Employee of the month at work.  I was ok with my colleague who got it, however, let me rant!

I have been the trainer of this department for the last four years. Every new member has been trained by me.  A few months ago and while my Area Manager was on maternity leave, they hired a Project Manager (we'll call her BB, the Big Bitch) who wanted to divide and conquer, so one of the first things she did, accompanied by one of the departments' Managers (we'll call her LB, the Little Bitch)
was to take me to the office and take away my position as trainer.  The reason? No attention to detail...
- 'The training modules are full of mistakes', said LB. - Well excuuuuse me! Gimme the friggin' time to update them and they will be as good as new!  I'm up to my arse in workload and you keep putting off the office time to update them, what the hell do you expect from me? To do them in my sleep?
-'You don't follow up your training' said BB. - pardon? I don't follow up? Erm, you just dropped in from Mars and you know what I've been doing the last four years?  Not only I follow up, but I keep on asking, sending emails, make suggestions, keep an eye on new recruits and I update the Managers with the progress.

After a loooot of debating, BB decided to stop me from being trainer for a few months and not to touch the modules until that time.  As you can imagine, the updates and the new procedures snowballed in the meantime and when it was time to update them again it took me hours.  Precious hours of my own time, at home, at breaks, in between customers... I did it anyway.  The modules have been updated.  The good news is BB is no longer responsible for our area, our Area Manager has come back and life is (kinda) back to normal.

Meanwhile, I also produced two more things - while being on the shopfloor and serving crazy custys and being extremely busy!


One thing was a PowerPoint presentation of all new promotions in our area, something that I will update every month (and believe me, we have a lot of promotions in our area), which looks and acts like a website - everybody's jaw dropped when they saw it.

And just before the rotting Sale started, LB (who now tries to be nice) asked me to do a mini manual for people in other areas of the company, in case they needed to help us. Fair enough, will you gimme some time in the office to do it?


NOOOO, of course not! You'll become an octopus, with eight hands, eight brains and eight eyes and you'll do it while serving customers, answering phones, replying to emails, registering new customers, training the new girl and by the way, we need 25 things to be explained in the manual and you have one week to finish it....


And so I did.  Exactly as described above.  The little mutant octopus in me came out and I finished the damn thing, with lots of never discussed before material, screen shots, photoshops, drawings, index tables and all that one day before the blasted deadline.
In the meantime, excellent customer service, and me always chirpy, smiling, tireless, positive, adaptable, flexible, calm, philosophical...

Jaws dropped again. 'Well done, Ranteuse, very impressive'

Bollocks.

It was forgotten the next hour. And so was my promotions presentation. I did all that for fuck all.  I had heard a slip of the tongue from one of the managers though that I had been nominated for employee of the month.

So I waited with anticipation for today.  Not that it would mean anything more, you get a ridiculous £10 voucher, but who doesn't like a bit of public recognition for their hard work?
As I said, I was happy for my colleague, who is one of my favourite people in the department, but it was quite anti-climactic, let-down and a bit of a bombshell for all this trauma and trouble I've been through.  Not even a mention (like when they give the honourary Oscars to someone who's never won a real one, you know!)

That's why this blog has been born.  As I can't say it to their faces, at least I can come here and RANT!!!! 
Because, believe me, nothing feels better than a big ol' rant after a hellish day.

No comments:

Post a Comment