Friday 25 February 2011

The Definition of Cool



It's been in my mind for days now.
What is the definition of cool?
What are the properties of being cool, the properties of coolness?
For me it's something that exhumes in your posture, your body language and the way you behave. Something mellow, mature, easy-going, calm, sophisticated, attractive all put together.  Something that shows you are successful but you are o.k. with it.  Something that other people see and want to be, to follow, to become associated with.
Something quite difficult to describe. You know something or someone is cool the minute you see them.
Being cool and trying to be cool are two completely different things...

Who is cool? Quentin Tarantino is cool. Morgan Freeman and Samuel L. Jackson. James Franco has become trendy and cool. Noel Gallagher (not Liam) from Oasis is Brit cool...

Can a woman be cool without being described as cold?
Uma Thurman is quite cool.

Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's was the epitome of coolness...

Here's some other persons and things I think they are cool:

  • Robert De Niro
  • Al Pacino
  • Grace Kelly 
  • The way some men light their cigarettes is cool (and sexy!)
  • Soho in London is very cool
  • Mods were and always are cool
  • Some tattoos are cool
  • Calling instead of texting is cool
  • Modesty is cool
  • A good sense of humour is very cool
  • A Mini is cool
  • Nerds and geeks are the new cool thanks to shows like Chuck
  • The utter coolness for me: Johnny Depp!
I am very curious to find out what and who do you think is cool.
I will post and discuss your views in my next post.

4 comments:

  1. Eminem.

    He's cool to me becuz of his character: he came from a tough environment, rose above people telling him he was shit, fought hard to become successful, and then went back to his hometown, when others would have walked away and gone Hollywood. He came from the School of Hard Knocks and graduated with frickin' honors.....

    Yeah he has demons, but he is fighting them head on and allows people to come along for the ride..and maybe learn something about themselves.

    He can twist any word into a rhyme....

    And his song Lose Yourself, speaks to me in spades. Whenever I need a push, I listen to it and revel in the last line, which I believe in 100%: "You can do anything you set your mind to, man"

    Wow, this came out a little heavier than I had intended...

    You still visiting me? I never hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi France,

    Sorry I haven't been round lately, up to my ears in work and shit. I am reading your Cuisinart post as I write (talk about multi-tasking!)

    I agree about Eminem, he looks cool and acts cool, even if I'm not a huge fan of his music.

    However, there is no wonder that Lose Yourself has won an Oscar...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize it won an Oscar!

    BTW, read you Cuisinart comment. Those buggers, Cuisinart is not a wholly own subsidiary! It has been broken apart and sold to several other companies with divisions farmed out. Each division has different policies.

    Apparently, the electronic division is the worst.

    Which makes me never want to buy anything Cuisinart again STILL, some corp just sold a brand name!

    But, I'm not done yet....I was in sales and retail and I have a few tricks up my sleeve..will keep you posted if I get anywhere..

    ReplyDelete